What to Know About Roof Repair
1. Consider your safety first. Without question, nagging and bustling about finding a leak the very moment that it happens is something that might put you in the hospital immediately. Prying on the roof while it is covered with ice or not or if it is raining it not a great means to look for the leak. And take into account that giving temporary solution to the leak can risk your life on the line. And if you really want to be certain that it is fixed well, then there is no quick means to achieve it. Be sure to take the time that you want, be very careful and patient enough to wait for the mother nature to give you a go single.
2. Take extra precautions. Being on the roof will place the body in positions that are not safe or comfortable either. As a result, it is highly recommended that you wear rubber sole shoes in order to prevent slipping. In addition, take advantage of a harness and always work with another person.
3. Spray the roof. So as to make sure that you will not have a hard time of finding the leak, get a garden hose and spray it in different area of the roof. On the other hand, just wait until wintertime is over because it is not generally safe to spray water on the roof while it is filled with ice or snow.
4. Make the gutters clean. Clogged gutters are one of the most common causes and areas for roof leaks. Water will certainly build up on your roof during rainy days if you fail to clean the gutters.
5. Prevent dry rot. Dry rot is not related to any kinds of water damage, but it is due to lack of ventilation. If the repair must be done on the certain portion of the roof then most likely this is due to the decline in quality of the plywood. The roof will droop and bring shingles to the roof, then it will crack, and later on will leak. Preventing the occurrence of dry rot is consist of ridge vent installation which will only work in the presence of a soffit vent. You must drill by using soffit vents in order to create holes for the cool air to go inside and go in the lower part and push the hot air up and out.
6. Prevent the buildup of ice. During a winter season, ice will not have a hard time of building up under the roof membrane, gutter as well as shingles. As a result, having a poor ventilation can fix this problem.